Breakfast in Bed for Mother’s Day
Delray Beach, FL - How about a spa-style breakfast in bed for Mother’s Day? No need to stress; the seven simple recipes from leading Destination Spas make Mother’s Day a snap.
"As a mom, I can honestly say that breakfast in bed is one of the best gifts for Mother’s Day," said natural health & wellbeing expert Debra Koerner, executive director of the Destination Spa Group®.
"Some of the most exciting, yet most basic, recipes come from the talented chefs working at Destination Spas. We love this array of tastes pulled from the spas and mom will love that they are healthy and low-cal."
Found in stunning locales from Canadian mountains to Southwestern deserts, all Destination Spa Group® members offer a complementary balance of fitness, healthy cuisine, life-enhancing programs and relaxing spa services. From Pumpkin Pancakes to Berry Nutty Quinoa, these health-conscious recipes will give mom a guilt-free smile:
1. Contributed by: Red Mountain - Breakfast Burritos - The burritos contain Cotija, which is a dry, crumbly Mexican cheese, sometimes referred to as the "Parmesan of Mexico." This cheese is strongly flavored, firm and perfect for grating or crumbling.
2. Contributed by: The Oaks at Ojai - Date Nut Muffins - At only 110 calories per muffin, the kids will enjoy helping dad combine flavorful ingredients including cinnamon, apple juice and honey.
3. Contributed by: Green Mountain at Fox Run - Easy Breakfast Casserole - The casserole can be made a few hours ahead or even the night before. The recipe can be doubled easily and try experimenting with other vegetables such as sliced mushrooms or chopped tomatoes.
4. Contributed by: Deerfield Spa - Berry Nutty Quinoa - Quinoa is a fast-cooking, protein-packed whole grain. Quinoa is also higher in protein and fiber than many other grains, making it a super nutritious - and delicious -- way to start the day.
5. Contributed by: Rancho La Puerta - Orange Walnut Bread - this recipe makes two loaves, so share one with grandma.
6. Contributed by: The Heartland Spa - Pumpkin Pancakes - pancakes are the classic breakfast meal and this recipe jazzes things up a bit. We think these would be great with some Nutella!
7. Contributed by: Canyon Ranch -Spinach Eggs Benedict - another twist on a breakfast favorite and at 210 calories per serving, mom can have extra.
Only a select group of spas follow the tradition of the true Destination Spa - where the total environment is dedicated to health and life enhancement.
Representing more than 20 spas, Destination Spa Group is a membership organization dedicated to educating the public about the unique wellness and self-improvement opportunities found at Destination Spas.
More details on www.DestinationSpaVacations.com and by calling 888.772.4363.
The Heartland Spa Pumpkin Pancakes
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
2 tablespoons cholesterol-free egg substitute
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon vanilla
In small bowl, combine flours, baking powder and spices. In large bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, egg substitute, oil, honey and vanilla. Pour dry ingredients over pumpkin mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix. Cover pancake batter; refrigerate 30 minutes to thicken slightly. Lightly grease griddle or large skillet and heat until hot. For each pancake, spoon 2 tablespoons batter onto hot griddle. Cook until bubbles appear on tops of pancakes, then turn them over and continue cooking until golden. Serve immediately.