Putin Would Be Proud: ’No Homo Promo’ Laws Around the Nation
In a piece that Russian lawmakers might very well call "gay propaganda," The Mirror brings you nine U.S. states that have similar anti-gay laws - or what Russian lawmakers would approvingly nod their heads at.
These laws, coined "No Promo Homo" laws according to the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), forbid teachers from discussing gay and transgender issues (including sexual health and HIV/AIDS awareness) in a positive light - if at all. Both ThinkProgress and the Washington Post listed some of these laws.
Basically, the laws’ overall theme is to ensure that homosexuality is sold under very ominous definitions to students. From prohibiting portraying "homosexuality as a positive alternative lifestyle" (Ariz.’s law) to teaching "that a mutually faithful, monogamous relationship in the context of marriage is the only appropriate setting for sexual intercourse" (a Miss. law), these laws are just fun to read and sad to contemplate.
Let’s get to it:
Source material: bit.ly/1bFGyBX
(c) Course materials and instruction that relate to sexual education or sexually transmitted diseases should include all of the following elements: [...]
(8) An emphasis, in a factual manner and from a public health perspective, that homosexuality is not a lifestyle acceptable to the general public and that homosexual conduct is a criminal offense under the laws of the state.
Source material: 1.usa.gov/1f6r4au
C. No district shall include in its course of study instruction which:
1. Promotes a homosexual lifestyle.
2. Portrays homosexuality as a positive alternative lifestyle.
3. Suggests that some methods of sex are safe methods of homosexual sex.
Source material: bit.ly/1e0ZB3K
According to Think Progress, the state has a rule "censoring homosexuality in sex education, but it only applies to ’any sexually explicit materials depicting male or female homosexual activity." Given the law’s emphasis on abstinence from sexual activity outside of marriage and the state’s ban on same-sex marriage, non-pictorial discussions of homosexuality could probably be considered violations as well.
Source material: bit.ly/1m1wW5m
(1) Abstinence education shall be the state standard for any sex-related education taught in the public schools. For purposes of this section, abstinence education includes any type of instruction or program which, at an appropriate age: [...]
(e) Teaches the current state law related to sexual conduct, including forcible rape, statutory rape, paternity establishment, child support and homosexual activity; and
(f) Teaches that a mutually faithful, monogamous relationship in the context of marriage is the only appropriate setting for sexual intercourse.